Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mom's Easter Nests

Pin It
My mom (Melva) made these chocolate nests every year around Easter time. They are a part of my childhood and I think they are festive and yummy. Anything with the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is a treat to me!

As I've stated before, moderation in all things, including nutrition. These little nests are definitely a treat, but one of them is plenty for me. Deprivation is very counter-productive, especially around the holidays. A little goes a looooong way.

The best part of these treats is that they are filled with fiber, about 3 grams of fiber per nest. Not too shabby for a treat! Each nest is 114 calories.

Printable recipe here.

Melt MILK chocolate chips and 1/2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter in a large saucepan over low heat; stir constantly. Add 2 cups All Bran cereal and 3/4 cup chow mein noodles to chocolate mixture until evenly coated.

This time I made my nests two different ways. First, I spooned the mixture in tablespoonful scoops onto waxed paper lined cookie sheets (this is how my mom did it). I also tried putting the mixture in these silicone muffin cups (spray with a little cooking spray).



Press 3 mini jelly beans in center of nests.



Refrigerate and chill at least 1-2 hours. These last in the fridge for several days.
These nests were in the silicon muffin cups. They turned out pretty cute!
The originals look more like bird's nests (or piles of manure...hehe). I think I like the originals better. Which nests do you like better?





No comments: